Something to Blog About.....

Over the hill, on the downhill side, Gaining speed and enjoying the ride!

5/05/2008

Farmacology


I love living in a rural area! I've lived in L.A. but I much prefer "Green Acres" or more accurately described as "Brown Acres" right now. Recently "the boss" got some game hens and a real pretty game rooster. The hens hide their clutches all over and we have a constant Easter egg hunt finding lots of eggs and enjoying the dark orange yokes for breakfast. Once you've enjoyed them, you will never like store bought again. A couple of the hens went "broody" and hatched out some baby chicks. One hatched all twelve of her eggs which is quite rare. They are so cute following their mother around and responding to her clucking communication. Jesus even referred to a hen with her chickens. The rooster gets protective of the chicks, too. He is quite the "Cock-of-the-Walk". To keep the "girls" around he steals morsels of dog food from Sophie's dish and lays it in front of them. I guess he thinks if he buys her dinner she owes him! While she eats the morsel of Kibbles 'n Bits he catches her off guard and well... Barnyard antics can be pretty funny.

I guess one little hen got tired of just being one of the girls and went on a search for another "Cock of the Walk." We were inside the house using a drum sander on our wood floors. The thing is so loud I can't imagine any animal coming close. We had both doors open and a window to allow the breeze the blow out the floating dust. The little hen spied a lovely suitor on my kitchen counter, my cookie jar! We discovered her as she was doing everything she could to get his attention! She preened, poised and pranced, did the Watusi trying to get the stone cold rooster to notice her and finally went tail to tail and just nested next to him! We chased her out and did it several times until finally we had to shut the doors and window to keep her from coming in to flirt!

"Hello, there, Pretty Boy! Check out my tail...feathers!"


"Don't you see I'm trying to get your attention????"




I posted this story for my city-slicker, son-in-law in California! I knew it would make his day! And it would mortify his wife!

6 Comments:

  • At 8:39 AM, Blogger Meli n Pat said…

    That is hysterical! I can't wait to show Pat!

     
  • At 8:24 PM, Blogger Meli n Pat said…

    So, I hear sexy is when you use a feather, and kinky is when you use the whole chicken!
    More power to you!
    Love, Pat

     
  • At 11:11 PM, Blogger Jana said…

    Yes, somewhat embarassed, but that's too hillarious! I guess I am done hiding my redneck roots. Thanks for outing me, mom!!! :)

     
  • At 11:12 PM, Blogger Jana said…

    PS: I hope you cleaned the counter off before you fried any orange-yoke goodness for dad!

     
  • At 11:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That is too funny to be real. You can't even make that stuff up it's so funny. I guess you don't need to be in the entertainment capital of the world to find entertainment. I think this goes on the list of things to do on a Saturday night, probably right below watching a snake eat a frog in the driveway.
    -Josh

     
  • At 2:46 PM, Blogger Linda said…

    Josh....and just above watching the toads eat June bugs on the patio, under the light at night!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home